Ancient Cryptography

March 29, 2024, 05:08:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Ancient Cryptography » General » Other Mysteries » James Hampton Diary

Author Topic: James Hampton Diary  (Read 4638 times)

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
James Hampton Diary
« on: March 18, 2005, 03:28:54 PM »
 :-*Has anyone attempted to solve the cipher in the James Hampton diary?  For a close look, use your Google or other search engine for James Hampton and you can access a copy of the diary.  I have attempted a solution but have not achieved one yet.  It is possible that the language used was Gullah.  Let me know what you think.

Dutch
DUTCH

Aaron

• Administrator
Re: James Hampton Diary
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:24:13 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/ctesibos/hampton/writing.html is a good site to check from the looks of it...

I would guess that it's not so much a cipher as a visual picture.... like an old form of ASCII art. there are too many repeats of certain sets of characters.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 10:24:22 AM by Aaron »

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:59:38 AM »
That is a very good possibility.  I noticed that he was very fond of doubling the characters used in his diary.  I sometimes wonder why he would want to encipher any socalled revelations instead of making them easy for everyone to read. ;D
DUTCH

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:19 AM »
I appologize for not answering your reply.  Yes. I agree.  If this is truly a revelation, then you would think he would want everyone to know it.
DUTCH

bluewolf

• Life would be easier if I had the source code.
    • Blue Wolf's Howl
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 06:00:54 AM »
Revelations are not always something that people want to shout to the world. Look at how long Sister Lucia and the Church kept the 'secret' of Fatima...

Also, many people who come across such 'sacred' knowledge often want to keep it secret or hidden -- from the profane (or evil folks or the unworthy). Examples that easily come to mind are the Prophecies of Nostradamus (admittedly obscured by Nosty himself), the secrets of the alchemists, Freemasons, and Crowley.

I would think the point (and what probably drew us here in the first place) is the challenge of breaking the code - versus the validity (or worth) of the message encrypted. "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:16:54 PM »
"This has been a test of our emergency broadcast ssytem. If this were a real emergency, a volcano would be erupting and earthquakes would be shaking the ground. This is only a test." -only encrypted message known to come out of Atlantis.

;)