Ancient Cryptography

March 28, 2024, 07:52:01 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Ancient Cryptography » General » Just About Anything » Unsolved Cipher

Author Topic: Unsolved Cipher  (Read 4240 times)

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
Unsolved Cipher
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
 8) I am making a suggestion that might be of interest to the group.  Let's pick out a cipher message that has not been solved (the chaocipher is one example).  We can pool our resources together and perhaps come up with a solution where others have failed.  Making it a joint effort gives everyone a chance to use their talents.  Let me know what you think of it.

Dutch
DUTCH

Aaron

• Administrator
Re: Unsolved Cipher
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »
Sure! :D That was kind of my goal with these forums anyway, it might be good to focus on one particular cipher at a time.

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 09:12:09 AM »
 8) By concentrating  our efforts on one at a time, we can become a well organized group and I believe can get something solved.  You are so right about the forum;  so far I as well as others have gone about it haphazardly.  We can change that and by assigning a particular problem to work on, we can get it all together.  All someone needs to do is select the problem.  If no one wants to select, I will come up with something shortly.

Dutch
DUTCH

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »
How about starting a poll?

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »
 :o I suggest the unsolved Zodiac message for us to work on.  The background information is easy to obtain at www.zodiackiller.com.  We can work at it each in our own way, but we do need to share whatever we discover and pass it on.  We just might be able to do what others have failed to do.  I  suggest that everyone read all they can of the background info and proceed from there.  I have already gotten the materials and an now doing a preliminay analysis on it.

Dutch
DUTCH

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »
Sounds good, feel free to make another thread in that forum section with your own observations. I'll take a closer look at all the material myself.

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
Here are the results of my preliminary analysis of the Zodiac cipher.  The unsolved message does not use the same cipher equivalents as the previous messages.  The key is different.  It is the same type however.  It uses multiple symbols for the same plaintext letter.  The method of attack that I am attempting is to look for possible pattern words.  The writer tends to use some words repeatedly that have their own patterns.  The message has about 65 different cipher symbols.  If anyone has any ideas on a line of attack, please let everyone know.

Dutch
DUTCH

tonybaloney

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
Dutch - I've just posted a bit on it in the Zodiac section - suggest that's the best line of attack.

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
I'll check it out.

Dutch 8)
DUTCH