Ancient Cryptography

April 18, 2024, 08:15:32 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Ancient Cryptography » General » Just About Anything » Crypto Book Reviews

Author Topic: Crypto Book Reviews  (Read 3561 times)

bluewolf

• Life would be easier if I had the source code.
    • Blue Wolf's Howl
Crypto Book Reviews
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:18:40 PM »
Which crypto books have you read (or read recently)? Which ones did you find interesting or useful?

Picked this one up from the 'reduced' rack at the local bookstore:
The Code Book by Simon Singh

Very well written and interesting. It held my interest because it involved the human element in the crypto history rather than just the dry technical information. Well worth reading.

Also read:
Cryptography Decrypted by H.X. Mel and Doris Baker
This book focuses mainly on computer crypto and security (SSL, IP Sec). A good book to read if you're studying computer security.

Aaron

• Administrator
Re: Crypto Book Reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 08:00:06 AM »
I haven't read many cryptography books myself, mostly I learn it through games and puzzles. Though I did do a little research on classic cryptography a few years ago.

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 11:30:21 AM »
 8)There is a very good elementary book on cryptanalysis called "Elementary Cryptanalysis" or ELCY by the American Cryptogram Association.  This can be purchased at www.amazon.com for a very good price.  It is published by Dover.  I have this book in my collection and it was the one that got me started on many different types of ciphers.  I belong to the ACA with the nom "The Flying Dutchman".  If anyone is interesested in this group, e-mail me at:  archieb42164@yahoo.com and I can give you information to get srarted.  Also, Aegean Park Press has many crypto books for sale.  Many of these can be purchased at the Amazon web site at a reasonable price.

Dutch
DUTCH

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:55:50 PM »
That sounds like an interesting group... maybe I should give them a shot once I have more free time. :)

mcarter

• abstract intuitive
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 07:24:15 AM »
Hello.

The one cryptology book I think should be on everyone's bookshelf is Cryptanalysis, by Helen Fouche Gaines.  ISBN 0-486-20097-3

This book is an excellent in-depth manual on cryptanalysis of paper and pencil ciphers, and has a great appendix filled with frequency charts.

Mark

Dutch

• Goede Dag.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:11:32 AM »
 ;D  THE CODE BOOK BY SIMON SINGH IS VERY GOOD.  I HAVE THAT IN MY PERSONAL CRYPTO LIBRARY.  IF YOU ARE INTO SOLVING CIPHERS, ELEMENTARY CRYPTANALYSIS BY HELLEN GAINES IS VERY GOOD.  IT IS THE ONE THAT GOT ME STARTED.  I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE OTHER BOOK AS I AM NOT INTO COMPUTER ENCRYPTION.

DUTCH
DUTCH

anything