Ancient Cryptography

March 28, 2024, 06:51:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Ancient Cryptography » General » Other Mysteries » Rayburn Cypher

Author Topic: Rayburn Cypher  (Read 12137 times)

Stun90

• The important thing is not to stop questioning...
Rayburn Cypher
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:10:11 AM »
This is the original site where I came across this cypher, with a copy of original cypher included....
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/01/handwritten_rea.html
Please note that there are several in the comments that claim to be either family or friends of the slain family. You decide what is fact and what is fiction.

Here it is reported by the Boston Globe newspaper http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/02/05/killings_suicide_baffle_authorities/

Here it is on the Boston News Channel http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2817655/detail.html

The most comprehensive site about the cypher that I could find:
http://www.israeltorres.org/The_Rayburn_Files.php
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein

Stun90

Re: Rayburn Cypher
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:34:19 AM »
This cypher is available so I presented it. My opinion to this is that it may not be real. Explanations coming. Is the cypher solvable? What do you think, is it real or a hoax? Your opinion is appreciated.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:16:35 AM »
Intriguing, though the cipher, if it is real, is quite a mess. I haven't found much about it besides what you linked to.

Stun90

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »
If this cypher is real then why wasn't it mentioned by the police or the press. Why was the alleged cypher written on before it was made public? I would tend to believe that credibility would be lost if some type of alleged evidence would be used before it was shown.
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 07:13:23 PM »
Well, perhaps the family wanted to keep it quiet at first if there was the possibility of a hidden will or stash of money somewhere. Who knows.

Then they gave up and released it to the public.

Stun90

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 11:09:26 PM »
that is a possibility. Maybe one of them knows the answer and just allowed it to appear after it was all over. The letters and symbols written on the sides maybe because he felt that he was running out of room and added them there. Symbols maybe because he may have been using more than one letter as a substitute and felt like he had ran out of subs. Dunno, just a thought. Looking at the shortness of each line I would tend to believe that they are single words and not sentences. Since he liked NFL football and New England Patriots, who knows maybe the 3rd and 4th lines spell New England. Prehaps one of the 7 letter lines spell their last name Rayburn.
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 12:52:30 PM »
One thing I was pondering is whether some of the numbers/symbols could represent directions to go...

1=SW, 2=S, 3=SE, 4=W, 5=?, 6=E, 7=NW, 8=N, 9=NE. Similar to how the numpad on the keyboard is set up, and with the symbols belonging with thir corresponding numbers.

Stun90

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 11:21:21 PM »
Gee Aaron, I do not know if anyone thought of that or looked in that direction (no pun intended). Now I will look at it from that point of view also. I do not know what 5 would mean. If the symbols corrolate with the numbers on the keyboard, and if the numbers are not direction, which now I believe they can be, then maybe they still represent the same letters, such as 2=S Thanks bud You just breathed life into my Rayburn notes. Now what would directions mean or is that part of the cyper to solve?
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 02:24:38 AM »
Presumably part of the cipher would be directions to some will or treasure or somesuch, perhaps just a very private letter for all I know. So if there were something buried, 2 steps to the north or somesuch would be logical. Otherwise, it's possible that there's something in a safety deposit box and the code/key's location is in the cipher.

Stun90

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 03:59:06 PM »
I am reading up on Rayburn's personality. What he liked or disliked. Perhaps other facets of his life that may lead to hints of this puzzle. I do not think that this would be a very complicated form of encryption since there was no college listed as education. He was an unemployed, high school educated person.  Maybe it was a double encryption, just a possibility. Usually someone that is going to commit suicide will make their demands plain and simple, loud and clear. And some of this looked like well written penmanship(better than mine anyway). So I do not believe that this was a message of his intentions. This cypher, IMHO was other than of his own death. Usually death messages are written faster with less care on penmanship. I also do not believe that it is long enough to show intent and regret, two components usually seen in enraged writings of this caliber. Once again that is IMHO. It is not a professional statement.
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 05:53:53 PM »
Interesting take on things, and I certainly doubted it would be something written shortly before death. Though, for all you know it could be a listing of music... I know there are some music programs out there that let you play the keyboard like a piano, including letters and numbers and symbols. Maybe the margins would be extra tunes that were just further experiments, who knows. :P

Stun90

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »
I do not believe that these were passwords. The line "Mmg" would probably be too short for a password. I do believe that because of the way that the symbols were written from the left side that the creator is left handed. I don't think that someone would turn the paper 180 just to write a few symbols. His wife said that he was a computer tech, though it was stated that he was unemployed. The symbols are from a keyboard.
- Albert Einstein

Stun90

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 10:46:51 PM »
I just came across another site pertaining to this subject. This site seems to have valid arguements for the authenticity of the cypher. That makes me happy. It may even be computer code. Interesting thread on the subject, there were several good questions and ideas there. Good to see something fresh on this one. Please read. It can be found here. http://www.johndouglasmindhunter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3232
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 12:57:50 AM »
Very nice! I like how detailed all the relevant information is. ;D

Much more to go on than a mysterious note and vague details of what happened.

Stun90

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:07:58 AM »
Yes that is a very nice site about the Rayburn murders and the cypher. Although his education did not include college, he is a veteran. It is possible that he copuld have learned this in the military or since he did work with computers at one time, it is possible that he could have learned this on the job training. I have also learned that he was bipolar. I may be rethinking this to areas that I did not think of before. Some of the reasonings at http://www.johndouglasmindhunter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3232 were pretty convincing. Some of what Aaron said here are good possibilities. Following some leads may lead to somethig but which to follow?
- Albert Einstein

Stun90

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 10:14:44 PM »
I read and reread the current clues, stats and general info about this. Sometimes it seems to me that this just may be a computer language cypher. I do not know how well trained this person was in this area. I wonder how many computer languages there are available to him to understand considering no college education but he may have received tech knowledge. Then again I think to myself, if the police said this was an open and shut case  and this cypher was never solved, could it have pertained to the case? Could it have a significant meaning?
- Albert Einstein

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 11:48:04 PM »
Heh, would be funny if it were as simple as converting from Qwerty to Dvorak for the values given.

Stun90

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 11:11:09 PM »
Very interesting. There are several languages that is available to a keyboard. Very interesting Aaron. Remember that I believe that it is possible that he could have been left handed. If so then a left handed Dvorak would be used. It may give an explanation for the symbols that he used.
- Albert Einstein

Don Crownover

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 01:29:45 AM »
Hi, all; Was Rayburn an internet music junkie? I started putting in lines (or parts thereof) from the cipher. A common word that appeared in conjunction was remix. In particular, a number of the lines or portions showed up with remix on the yuba.stanford.edu pages. I don't even know if these pages were around before the murder/suicide. But strange that they created a number of matches. Don

Don Crownover

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »
Looking around with the search, a number of those lines or parts also show up with NASA or NOAA or other government or .edu websites. Maybe it ties back to a common software that uses a certain naming or data scheme. If so, maybe there are files that were on Rayburn's machine with these particular codes embedded. By the way, McAfee blocked me from opening the files that came up (even NASA). Don