Ancient Cryptography

March 28, 2024, 02:58:30 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Ancient Cryptography » General » Just About Anything » Welcome!

Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 25659 times)

Aaron

• Administrator
Welcome!
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:26:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum and to the Ancient Cryptography SIG, I hope you enjoy the experience! And remember, all ideas have the potential to be the right answer for a cipher, so don't automatically dismiss someone else's ideas just because they might be a bit odd. I expect common courtesy here.

And most of all, have fun! :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 06:26:42 PM by Aaron »

Big Mark

• The Dead Sea Scrolls foretold this...
Re: Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 10:07:01 PM »
Hey all (just two so far).  Looking forward to some interesting discussions and debates.

Mark

angelapiano

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 11:21:05 PM »
Hi!

Three now! Looking forward to starting to contribute soon, when life settles down a bit.

Ang

pelican

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 10:11:19 AM »
I'm having a lot of difficulty with this particular site, as it is constantly disconnecting me from my inet provider. Thus, it's hard for me to stay connected for more than a minute or two, as it constantly prompts to connect or work offline. Is anyone else having this issue, or is it just me?

Chris

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 10:45:49 AM »
That is odd, I haven't had any problems like that. Keep me posted, it might be a result of an unresolved dispute I had with a previous webspace provider with which I used the same domain name (though I cancelled on the same day I got it pretty much). There shouldn't be any conflicts though they still haven't given me my money back or replied to any email I've sent (6 and counting), so I'm not sure what's going on with them.

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 10:46:53 AM »
By the way, welcome to all the new members! ;D Don't be afraid to post, now. ;)

scott

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 05:11:55 PM »
Hello all. I look forward to reading what others think about the mysteries here.

Michael

• Riddle me this!
    • cryptograph.org
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 08:17:55 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 01:00:37 PM »
Is anyone still around? I was thinking of setting up a Cipher of the Week that is more easily solvable, as no one has been posting for a while. But I do understand if many of you are in college, as finals are just around the corner for me as well. ;) Good luck with your finals, those who have them!

angelapiano

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 10:20:08 PM »
Hi Aaron,

A cipher of the week would be a good idea. I do poke my head in here once in a while. I've not had a chance to play with anything lately from the Ancient Cryptogram stuff. Something a smidge less taxing might be a good thing to do.

Just please don't do anything like the least favourite one I've ever worked on... Something along the lines of "If ewe ever want to drive a criptografer crazee, make shure two include alot of mispellings..."

Sheesh - what a bummer if that's part of Elgar's...?

Ang

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 11:34:57 PM »
Lol, I'm sure there are quite a few ciphers that purposely have bad spelling or bad grammar. ;) Don't worry though, I'll keep mine seplled proper at least. ;)

fulbourne

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 05:42:21 AM »
Hi! I found this forum via the puzz analogy test thing. Excellant puzzle! Look forward to posting here and great to find a cryptography forum. I once spent some time working out the encoded address of one cryptography society that I read about in a book only to find out after I'd managed to decode it that the book was several decades old and that the society no longer existed!

Yours,
N A Berry

mutehorn

• I have no idea what this is about, so um....
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 04:12:49 AM »
Hi there. People(s)?

I have never done this posting forum thing before.
So I hope this gets through to at least one other person, so at least I'll feel that it wasn't a total waste of an effort. (echo)

"Anyone?  Anyo---nnnn---eeee ? he---r----e?"

Fero
May 31, 2005 2:07 a.m.

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 09:02:25 PM »
Don't worry, I'm here... just a bit quiet is all. School's been rather busy sadly, but I'll be making some big changes soon. As for everyone else... they joined and went poof I guess. o_O

I don't want to have to be the primary person posting here but I'll try to push things along when I can. All you peoples hiding and waiting for someone else to post, just post already. ;) If you don't like the current things we are looking at, post other things you've found, I love hearing about new and interesting puzzles discovered about the past. And, you can talk about general things as well, that's what this part of the forum is for. ;) Anyone have any inventions they've been meaning to try? Ideas to change the world? Surely something is percolating in those brains.

angelapiano

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2005, 11:49:43 PM »
Hi,

Not a matter of "poof," just a matter of running crazy...

Ang

tigerz

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 06:51:58 PM »
Hello Aaron and anyone else.  Has anyone tried to decode the codes in the back of Dan Brown's books.  I can across the paper where I wrote down the code in "Digital Fortress".  I believe it may have something to do with ceasars magic square formula.

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

I am interested but a newbie with this any help anyone?

Sandra

Aaron

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 12:55:42 PM »
I've never read any of his books, I'll get that one and see what context the code is in. That may provide a clue.

neillly88right

• owd up peple thee wurds ar rong lehs get em streit
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 02:42:29 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the welcome,  looking forward to participate in some codebreaking.

Neil

schwerm

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 08:11:56 PM »
Howdy!  I'm a new addition to this forum...looking forward to learning something here.

Cindy Smith

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 04:32:58 PM »
I have a passing interest in cryptography and was wondering which books on the subject are worth getting.  I looked at Amazon and found several interesting titles including _Elementary Cryptanalysis:  A Mathematical Approach_ by Abraham Sinkov and _The Code Book:  The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography_ by Simon Singh.

I'm interested in texts that contain actual codes with helpful hints for cracking some and others which have as yet to be deciphered.  I have looked at the Elonka website, elonka.com/UnsolvedCodes.html, and found it interesting and thought perhaps there are books containing mostly texts of such codes just waiting to be tackled. 

I would like to get such a book for a Christmas present for my father who was an Army crytptologist.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Cindy Smith
cms@RomanCatholic.org
cms@dragon.com

Wisdom is needed here; one who understands can calculate the number of the beast, for it is a number that stands for a person.  His number is six hundred and sixty-six.  -- Revelation 13:8

Would anyone like to try to crack the code of Revelation? :-)